Sunday, September 30, 2012

Blog Post #5

                                               The iSchool Initiative
      In Travis Allen's Video The iSchool Initiative, Travis puts up a amazing reflection on how the classroom would be with an iTouch instead of normal classroom materials. Travis said that with budget cuts, teacher cuts, and larger classes, that it would be less money to look towards technology. He stated that there are many apps on the iTouch that would require the schools to have no paper, no pencils, as well as no books. But, I see a few ways that this could go wrong.
      What would happen if the student broke the device? The iTouch device's are glass in the front, so very easily could they be dropped and shattered. What if in the middle of an assignment the data on the iTouch decided to crash? Just like any other technological system, they freeze or sometimes data can be lost. I understand Travis Allen's point that if we switched to these devices instead of normal materials, that we would save 600 dollars per student. But, if every student, or lets just say half of the students break or harm the tool, that all adds up to about the same amount of money that was saved. I see his point, but you cant help but question it at the same time.

                               Jennifer Chambers post/ Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir
       I was very inspired when I watched Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir video. Just to know that all of those singers have never met, or performed together amazed me. I am a huge fan of music, so to see all of that put together blew me away. It's cool to think that every part of that came from people all around the world, and how much time it must have taken to place it just right. Awesome video.
 virtual choir

                                         Teaching the 21st Century Students
       In Kevin Roberts video on Teaching the 21st Century Students, he goes into great detail about how technolgy is pretty much taking over the classroom. He stated that we arer no longer the teachers, but we are the filter. He also asked a very good question about tecahing that made me think. He said should we teach facts and content, or skills. Students these days are getting more technologically advanced more and more each day. This will affect me as a teacher in several ways. It will force me to also become more advanced in technology to be able to collaborate with my students. It will force me to look deeper and learn more about the individual students instead of a whole. It will also teach me alot about myself. I liked when Robets talked about the difference in creation today. He is right in many ways. We, as teachers, need to rethink the tools we will use to be the filter for our students needs. Very interesting video.
                                                     Flipping the CLassroom
     I watched a few videos about "Flipping the Classroom." The most interesting one to me was Katie Gimbars's video. I liked how she explained the different groups of her classroom. I do agree that with video lecturs, that there will be more time in the classroom spent on application instead of delivery. But, it's kind of tricky situation for me to grasp. After student get home from school, there are tons of things that they want to do, the last thing involving school. If they are younger kids who cant drive and parents have stuff to do in the afternoon, how will they make time to watch the videos? What if the students forget? Or, what if they simply just don't do it? I like the idea, really I do, but I have many doubts about it and I think I may would try it as a few assignments, but definitely not all the time.

2 comments:

  1. iPods and iPads are now becoming widely used in schools throughout the world. The breakage or loss rate is extremely low. Generally school districts insure them at a fraction of their cost. This means (or the insurers would charge more) that only a very few are broken or lost. reports from the field indicate that the students are very protective of these devices because they are very important to them and highly desired. Opponents speculate about this all the time. Most predict 10% loss. You predict 50% loss. Data show that the loss/breakage rate is probably less than 1%.

    " Us, as teachers, need to rethink..." We not Us

    "I liked hopw she explained the different groups..." how not hopw

    "...with video lecturs, that there..." lectures, not lecturs; omit that before there

    "After student get home from school..." students not student

    "...cant drive and parents..." can't not cant

    "...how will they make time to watch the videos? Whjat if the student forgets? Or, what if they simply just dont do it?" Such pessimism! What not Whjat; don't not dont

    "and I think I may would try it as a few assignments," may would? What does that mean?

    "... but definitely not all the time." Do you think clear requirements that are repeated over and over again would not lead to changed behavior? If not, what are we to do? Yes, it is difficult to get students to act as students. I repeat over and over again: PROOFREAD! But take a look at your work (and that of many others). I say "Be on time" but 16% of EDM310 students did not do their blog post on time this week and 27% did not do their This is my Sentence assignment on time. Students that do not do their work is par of what you will encounter when you teach. I firmly believe, however, that I must let that behavior change my teaching objectives. Instead I try to determine how to help their become better students and workers. Now a question: how can I encourage you to proofread? You need to do it!


    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Strange,
    Thank you for your comment. I went back and corrected my mistakes. I will take a closer look at proofreading my work. Thank you.

    V/R
    Jenna Barnes

    ReplyDelete